Haifa car rental – Assuming you have not rented a car at the airport, you may find it easier and a bit less expensive to rent a car in Haifa as you will not have to pay the airport service fee (about 27 USD).
While booking a hotel and car rental deal online is definitely an option, driving in Israel can be tricky (especially in and around Haifa). You’ll also have to return the car before your flight, which is always an added hassle when you want to check in on time. For first time visitors, we recommend taking a cab or train into Haifa, checking into the hotel, and then renting a car when you’re fresh and ready to get out of the city.
Haifa Car Rental Tips and Recommendations
- Rent a GPS with the car that will supply you with directions in English. If you have a smart phone with a data plan, you can just download the Waze app, which provides great GPS and real-time traffic info. The Israeli street signs in my opinion are not well posted and difficult to read especially when people are honking at you.
- Make sure the designated driver is at least 24 years old. You can add additional drivers but the cost will increase.
- Bring a clear pictured valid driver’s license in English or an international driver’s license. I recommend getting an international license only if you want to rent a large 8-10 passenger van because a standard D.L. issued in the States does not specifically allow for large vans with over 8 passengers.
- If you can show a valid foreign passport (not Israeli), you do not have to pay the hefty 18% VAT (Value Added Tax for Israeli citizens only).
- Gasoline in Israel is currently about $7/gallon or 7.45 New Israeli Shekels (NIS) / liter so plan your trips carefully.
- Inspect the vehicle thoroughly for any and all existing damages. If you don’t, the company will charge you when you return the vehicle! I remember my first Israel car rental experience. They brought out my vehicle and I immediately noticed huge dents and scratches on the front fender. Of course, I requested a ‘good car’. The reply was ‘This is a good car’ and they weren’t kidding! You may not get a car in perfect condition – just make sure you document every imperfection before signing off. This in not uncommon for most Israeli car rental companies.
- Book online at rentalcars.com (above) for best prices
S’u bi-Zehirut (Drive safe 🙂